Tuesday 3 June 2008

Is it legal?

When I got back to the house Chris was sat at the computer typing furiously. He'd done a brain dump of his side of the story, answering each accusation in turn. It looked like he was going to fill 5 pages of A4 so I suggested he might want to cut it down a bit so at least someone might read it to the end. I didnt feel like packing. Bali seemed another world away.

I also sat down and wrote a response to my letter. Again the feelings of disbelief came over me. “Can they really do that in law” I thought to myself, “Surely, only if it's gross misconduct”. I looked up gross misconduct and termination on the web. It gave examples fighting, being drunk on duty, stealing, racial abuse, failing to obey management decisions....ok so I didnt always do exactly what Chris asked me too and maybe I hit him a few times (in private)!! But none of the reasons in my letter seemed anywhere close to this.

I said to Chris, “Should we be seeking legal advice?” He said “Ive already checked Swiss law. They don't need to prove anything or give any reasons.” “Hmm” I thought, “Next time I will think twice before working for a Swiss organisation". I felt better when I'd finished my letter. Little did I know that there was worse to come.

Your comments and messages on this blog are welcomed!

2 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

Reading the contract about "Gross Misconduct" I was having those same questions myself when I went through a similar situation...

Unknown said...

leaving a trail of destruction could be classified as "Gross Misconduct" I guess...