Monday 26 May 2008

Announcement

We all gathered round as Chris made a short announcement. He said it was time for us to move on and that maybe our role here had just been for the Nias set up. His voice started to falter as he said “We have a great team here and that the projects can carry on without us”. Pieter looked stunned, I was in tears, there was total silence. After hugs and more tears we had to get out of the office to give people time to take in the news. We walked round the neighbourhood that we had become familiar with over the last four months. Medair weren't just taking away our job they were taking away our whole reason for being in Indonesia.
I tried to smile when people people in the street greeted us. “Hello my friend”. “Hey mieeester” people shouted after us in their over pronounced English. Chris, always calm in a crisis, headed for the doughnut shop. I felt sick and could only just manage to sip a black coffee.
We did have something to look forward to – our Mums were meeting us in Bali in two days. Another wave of nausea washed over me as I thought, “How are we going to tell them?”

No comments: